How To Pick A Reputable Snow Removal Company
After a massive snow storm has been announced on the news, there’s typically a moment of panic that ensues in your mind, regardless of who you are. How am I getting to work tomorrow? I was planning on going to the store, will I have enough food until I can? Should I cancel that long-awaited appointment? All these questions running together in your mind can be massively overwhelming and smoothing out the disruptions that a blizzard can cause in your life, exhausting. However, if you’re the owner or manager of a commercial property, or a multifamily complex, those concerns can be compounded tenfold.
One of the ways you can relieve a bit of that wintertime stress, is to ensure you’ve hired a reputable snow removal company to take care of your property’s snow and ice management. Though it is recommended that property managers and owners start looking for a snow removal company to hire as early as March or April, sometimes things get away from you. If you’ve yet to select a company or re-signed a contract with a previous snow removal contractor, it’s time to get a serious move on as it may already be too late. However, as fall quickly slips away this year, and you find yourself without a reliable snow removal company under contract, here are some things to keep in mind when comparing proposals.
- Is The Company Licensed, Bonded And Insured? It’s a good rule of thumb to never allowed a contractor to complete work for your property without being licensed, bonded and insured, regardless of the work at hand. Ensuring the company you are hiring is licensed and insured can help to guarantee that the services you are receiving are of quality.
- What Do Their Reviews And References Look Like? A wonderful way to determine if someone is considered a reputable snow removal company is to read through previous clients’ reviews. The happier customers seem with their past work, the more likely you will be just as (if not more so) pleased with the finished job. Whereas negative reviews will make you more aware of potential issues that may arise if you hire the company in question. It is also smart to request references from the companies you are comparing in order to do some extra research. Reach out to property owners and managers that have experience with these snow removal companies and hear what they have to say about the contractor in question. Talking to a follow business owner or property manager will be far more enlightening than sifting through Google reviews looking for relevant comments.
- Do They Have Up-To-Date And Necessary Equipment? This one may seem like a no-brainer but be sure to check out a snow removal company’s equipment before signing a contract. A lot of companies will post pictures of their equipment (especially if they’ve just received some new tools) either on their website or social media, but don’t hesitate to also ask the business yourself. Trustworthy snow removal companies are accustom to answering these questions – as well as providing proof – and won’t blink an eye at the inquiry. You want to ensure that your property can be properly (and efficiently) taken care of with the tools at hand. If the company has only employed a dozen snow shovels, a rickety old truck and a wheelbarrow, it’s probably smart to keep looking.
- Do They Have Experience? How Many Years Have They Been At It? The more successful years a snow removal company has under their belt, the easier you can rest knowing that the work will be completed correctly and to standard.
- Have They Secured Ice-Melting Products? At this point in the season, you’ll want to ensure the snow removal companies you’re reviewing have secured all the necessary ice-melting products for this coming winter season. If a contractor cannot assure you that all preparations have been made, walk away, quickly. If they don’t have the materials as of yet, either in their possession or ordered and headed they’re way – the likelihood of them being ready for the first snow fall is slim to none.
- What’s Their Response Time During A Winter Storm? One benefit of hiring a snow removal company to take care of your snow and ice management plan, is that your contractor is responsible for staying on top of the weather forecast and ahead of the snowfall. A reliable snow removal company will provide you with an account manager who will act as your liaison for the company, who you can call for services, follow-ups and to answer any questions. Another thing to look for in a trustworthy company is whether they offer a 24/7 point of contact. This ensures that the company understands the importance of communication and will be available to you when needed.
- Do They Worry About The “Little” Things? Sidewalks, entrances and other outdoor spaces (rather than just roadways and parking lots) should never be overlooked when creating a snow and ice management plan. This often requires hand-work like snow shoveling in order to ensure
main access points and walkways are clear and safe for residents and customers.
- Is Their Offered Quote A Thorough One? Reading the fine print before you sign anything is crucial to making good decisions (take it from someone who didn’t look too closely at the lease they were signing and consequently signed up for a year of chaos and headaches). However, if there isn’t any, or hardly any, “small print” to read, that can be an even bigger issue. A snow removal contractor worth their salt will provide you with a thorough and well researched proposal quote of the services they will be providing within the winter season. Make sure the quote covers all required services for your property and that the associated costs make sense. If you don’t know what you’re paying for, you have no way of knowing if you’re receiving a fair price or being swindled out of your winter budget.
- How’s Their Pricing Compared To Other Quotes You’ve Received? If a company is offering a snow and ice management package at a rate that seems too good to be true, it probably is. If the price is surprisingly low or leaps high above the competitors’ rates, it’s usually an indicator of less-than-ideal business practices. Toss out any lowball or exorbitant offers and keep looking. Reputable companies price their work appropriately while remaining competitive, meaning that their prices won’t stray to far from the medium snow removal costs typical of a professional service.
Don’t get caught off-guard this winter season by either waiting until first snowfall to hire a snow removal contractor, or rushing through the selection process this fall. Take your time to evaluate the options at hand in order to make an educated and effective decision. By relying on dependable and experienced snow removal service contractor, like Snugs Services, you’re signing up for a winter season of ease and clear parking lots. At Snugs, we’ve been providing Portland and the surrounding valley with excellent snow and ice management for ten plus years. With years of practice keeping the city running like normal during snowy days and nights, our top-of-the-line equipment, comprehensive services and dedicated rapid response teams, there’s no need to dread every winter storm forecast out there! Make your life and the lives of your tenants or customers easier this year by requesting a Snugs Services quote today!
Snugs Pro Wash, Inc, dba SNUGS Services, has been providing high quality Pressure Washing Services in Portland, OR since 1995. Started as a residential pressure washing and roof cleaning service, SNUGS is now one of the leading exterior cleaning companies in the Northwest. From our humble beginnings as a man with a truck and a trailer we have grown to become a multi-million dollar company serving corporate customers, name brands, and mom and pop companies alike.