Summer Maintenance For Landlords & Property Managers
Roughly a year and a half ago I made the tremendous decision to move from one state to another to start fresh. The plan itself was fairly solid and well-prepared, but due to some scheduling issues and contract end dates, the timing was less than ideal… Believe me when I say, moving during the winter can be a nightmare. Between driving through blizzards, winter car problems and slipping on ice patches several times while emptying my U-Haul – I decided that from that point forward, I was a “summer move” kind of person. As it turns out, I’m not the only one who feels this way; it’s estimated that nearly 80% of people moving in the US, choose to do so during the summer months.
Thanks to the warmer weather, breaks from school and military personal receiving their new assignment orders, summer is typically the peak moving season of the year. As a landlord or a property manager, summer is either your favorite season or your most dreaded because of this. But regardless of your personal feelings on the matter or whether you’re in charge of one property or multiple, seasonal maintenance – exteriors especially – is critical for keeping your property in working order and your residents happy. I’m sure you have a general task list of what must be completed inside each living space after a tenant has moved out, but this summer, go the extra mile by following our handy to-do list for exterior property maintenance!
What To Do?
It’s amazing how quickly a place can fall into disrepair with the changing seasons and high foot and vehicle traffic battering your property or properties from every angle. By taking certain steps, however, you can easily combat wear and tear and keep your property looking as good as new.
- Clean the Exteriors and Hardscapes: a dingy building covered in grime and graffiti, accompanied by dirty, stained sidewalks and community areas is a massive turn off for current tenants and an even bigger red flag to potential renters. Avoid this by having your exteriors and hardscapes pressure washed and your windows washed at least once a year, if not more frequently depending on various circumstances.
- Clean and Repair Gutters: gutters that aren’t working properly, either due to a clog of debris or damage somewhere along the line, can be an absolute nightmare for property managers and landlords. Avoid future headaches and expenses by ensuring your gutters are cleaned a couple times a year and any damages are dealt with in a timely manner to prevent all sorts of water damage.
- Repair Metal Carports: tenants who pay extra for their covered parking spot won’t be pleased if the structure they park under every night has dings, leaks, hanging pieces of framing and so on. Make sure your tenants feel taken care of by investing in metal carport repairs. If you rely on experienced professionals, they can custom-size replacement parts to ensure the perfect fit.
- Trim Trees: take the chance to get spring growth under control by having your properties trees trimmed back each summer. This simple step will mean less likelihood of tree limbs snapping in summer wind storms and the resulting debris causing damage to tenants or their property.
- Clean Dryer Vents: exterior vents clogged with lint and other debris are unsightly, and worse, can be very serious health and safety risks. Prevent fires, carbon monoxide poisoning and poor dryer functionality by having your dryer vents cleaned at least once a year at the beginning of the summer. Snugs Services has even developed methods to clean dryer vents from the outside of buildings, meaning they won’t have to enter the tenants’ space.
- Check the Condition of the Building: Take advantage of the emptying units to closely inspect both the interior and exterior of each apartment or rental home, checking for signs of mold, water damage, pests or insects and damage caused over time. By inspecting the property’s condition every year with a fine-tooth comb, you’ll be able to properly budget for needed repairs throughout the following year.
The Benefits Of A Professional Service
A well-maintained property can lead to so many good things: more potential tenants stopping by, less crime occurring on property and more profitable rent rates. That’s why it’s smart to rely on a team of professionals to take some things off your plate, when these necessary tasks just get to be too much. Snugs Services has been working with property managers and landlords in the Pacific Northwest for years now. Our crews are highly trained and accustomed to working in the unique environment apartment complexes and townhouses provide. We take the steps necessary to complete the job correctly and efficiently while leaving your tenants as undisturbed as possible. They might not even know we’re there! From pressure washing, to gutter cleaning, to carport repairs and more, allow Snugs Services to take care of most of your exterior maintenance issues this summer so you can stay focused on the task at hand: managing your property.
Snugs Pro Wash, Inc, dba SNUGS Services, has been providing high quality Pressure Washing Services in Portland, OR since 1995. Started as a residential pressure washing and roof cleaning service, SNUGS is now one of the leading exterior cleaning companies in the Northwest. From our humble beginnings as a man with a truck and a trailer we have grown to become a multi-million dollar company serving corporate customers, name brands, and mom and pop companies alike.
Follow SNUGS on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram